My mentor shared the article “Career Coach: What are you doing to keep learning?” This article basically talks about the importance of continuous learning – it doesn’t stop with getting a degree. The article lists benefits to those who make learning an ongoing priority in their lives:
- Being able to keep current with trends and developments in an industry.
- Building a knowledge base to identify problems and generate solutions.
- Being more resilient to market changes and fluctuations (i.e., being more marketable, especially during recessions).
- Stimulating the mind to keep inspired and excited.
- Enhancing self-confidence about a topic or issue.
I have experienced all of these benefits. I would add that continuous learning also helps us develop new ways of thinking about problems and solutions. Learning more in subjects outside our field of expertise helps us relate to and communicate with others more effectively and gives us not only a knowledge base, but new mindsets for different approaches to problems and ideas.